Monday, July 24, 2006

Blythe Township fire ruled accidental

A trailer fire in Blythe Township Friday afternoon was caused by a lit cigarette thrown into a garbage bag.

The fire took the life of 71-year-old Thomas McElvaney. Firefighters responded to the trailer on Silver Creek Road just after noontime. The fire was discovered by his wife, Arva. When firefighters arrived, the home was filled with smoke. Thomas McElvaney was pronounced dead at the scene.

A State Police fire marshal from Reading ruled the fire accidental. He apparently died from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Kaska, Cumbola, Port Carbon and New Philadelphia assisted at the scene.


Post a Comment

<< Home